Friday, October 10, 2008

Marathon Training

Yesterday, I was attending a technical seminar when a guy came up to me and said "Hello, xiao ding dang"... Blurred for a moment as I cannot recognise him.. A look at his name tag and I realised he is kanglc who joined me for NUS Hill Run. We chatted about his marathon training for the upcoming SCSM. After doing 2 long runs on Sat and Sun, he has developed PF. So I shared with him how me & tktan trained for SCSM.

4 months training of weekly mileage 50-65km
- 1 weekday short run (10-12km)
- 1 weekday short run (13-15km)
- 1 weekday mid-distance run (18-20km) with a day rest after
- 1 weekend long-distance run (24-36km) with 1 day rest before and after
outcome : 3:58 finish time

For all training runs, I'll do it at race pace -- coz I wanna train my body to get accustomed to the breathing, speed and pacing. Add some hill training to work on different sets of muscles for weekday runs. For LD, if you have home ground advantage, train on the actual race route and at the same start time.

Race strategy :-
- start ~ 12km : maintain 5.15min/km pace
* refuel with 1 pack of energy gel 15min before the race start
* refuel with 1 pack of energy gel at 12km
- 12km ~ 30km : maintain 5:30min/km pace
* refuel with 1 pack of energy gel at 22km
- 30km ~ end : maintain 5:45min/km pace
* refuel with 1 pack of energy gel at 32km
* refuel with 1 pack of energy gel at 36km (final boost)

For me, I cannot start slow -- engine will stalled and I am unable to pick up speed later. So I will let go and run at my own unconstrained pace before settling in a comfortable pace.

What works for me may not work for you. So, please train with caution and most importantly, enjoy the run!

P.S. After SCSM, we went on to take part in Nagano Marathon 4mths later. Vary our training schedule as below :-
4 months training of weekly mileage 45-60km
- 1 weekday short run (13-15km) with a day rest after
- 1 weekday mid-distance run (18-20km) with a day rest after
- 1 weekend long-distance(LD) run (24-36km) with 1 day rest before and after
outcome : 4:12 finish time

3 Comments:

At 10/10/2008 3:01 PM, Blogger athulican said...

Hi Doreen,

Thanks for sharing with me your marathon trainings. It's good/interesting to switch thoughts once in a while, especially from such diverse fields as 'IC design' to 'running'. What a change!

Wow, long-distance run (24-36km) at race pace of 5.15min/km. Pei fu! Pei fu! I am really annoyed with this PF thingy, without which I think I can probably try your suggestions. I was actually doing a mid-distance run on Sat at race pace, followed by a LSD on Sun. However, I was not used to doing such back-to-back runs over the weekend. I guess that's why I got injured in the first place. Anyway, it seems to heal a bit now, after decreasing my training intensity somewhat. Now, I just hope to get through to my 1st marathon, and finnish in one piece.

Nice blog, by the way.

 
At 10/11/2008 12:23 AM, Blogger roentgen said...

Wow, you two had a tough training schedule! No wonder it resulted in such good times for both marathons :) Thanks for sharing...

 
At 10/11/2008 1:21 PM, Blogger doraemon_red said...

kang, SCSM08 being your maiden marathon, then enjoy the run to have a good experience of completing it :) next marathon then target a timing. Wish u speedy recover for ur PF!

lionel, thanks! you have improved tremendously to do multiple sub-4 marathons! oh, envy that u get to enjoy the ski season in usa as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home