Monday, February 05, 2007

Lunch Date with Osteopath on 3 Feb`07 (Sat)

Paul, my osteopath, was shaking his head when I listed down my problem areas -- he had to patiently wait for me to describe my injured shoulder from skiing and hip & knee pain from running. First he checked my hip -- way off as my pelvis was rotated again! He started with my shoulder -- there was a strain @ biceps as it was painful when he massaged. Next, he tried to identify the point where I felt pain at the back of my knee. Bad news -- it was a tendon micro-tear @ my hamstrings! Felt a burning sensation when he massaged -- OUCH! He moved on to ease my hip pain with his elbow -- PAIN! This was followed by massage on my ITB to ease the knee pain... Phew, was glad when the pain therapy was finally over! More bad news -- to allow the micro-tear to heal, he advised me to stop running for at least 2 weeks -- no bike either, juz swim :( He will review my recovery a week later -- and see how soon can I get back to runnning. That's on the condition that I dutifully do the stretching exercises for my shoulde, hip and knee and ice my knees daily. Also, it will do me good if I train up my core muscles and stability...

Here's some links on hamstring injury :-
1) Hamstring Injury
2) Extract from Hamstring
In my experience dealing with hamstring strain in long distance runners’ I find that they do not have an imbalance with the quadriceps muscle being stronger than the hamstring, but just the opposite the hamstring is stronger than the quadriceps. This can happen if there was a previous injury to the knee leading to residual atrophy of the quadriceps muscle. In many circumstance the quadriceps and hamstring muscle work synergistically to extend the knee. If, the quadriceps muscle is weak the hamstring will compensate in order to extend the knee. This leads to an over worked hamstring muscle. Another muscle imbalance, which can lead to hamstring strain, is a weak lower abdominal muscle (external oblique abdominal muscle) and an overly developed hamstring muscle. This situation can occur on one side of the body if there is a history of an inguinal hernia. In certain situations both the lower abdominal muscles and the hamstrings act to tilt the pelvis in a posterior direction. If the lower abdominal muscle is deficient in its action to stabilize the tilt the pelvis the hamstring compensates by working harder.

In both of these situations rehabilitation and prevention should address the weak synergistic muscles. Recent work by Sherry (2004) supports this concept. He demonstrated the addition of core stabilization exercises to traditional stretching and strengthening exercises are more effective than just traditional and strengthening exercises for hamstring strain.

P.S. Really have no idea when or what caused the micro-tear! Disheartening news with 2+ months to Nagano Marathon -- well, I juz have to take a break from running and pursue my other sporting interests for the time being...

7 Comments:

At 2/06/2007 11:49 PM, Blogger kops21 said...

i understand your fustration. Just take it as a break. You will come back stronger!

 
At 2/07/2007 9:40 AM, Blogger doraemon_red said...

am afraid to hear "you will come back stronger" :( coz there is this lingering fear that i can never run like before...

ok ok, it's all in the mind! i will recover and back to running like i used to :)

 
At 2/07/2007 3:37 PM, Blogger The DreamRunner said...

xdd, seems like u really need a longer rest...we won;t be able to do NUS Hill Run for a while then...but nvm, like what Kops said, u shall return and normally, that means becoming stronger (after the forced rest)...Chin Up!

 
At 2/07/2007 5:15 PM, Blogger doraemon_red said...

thanks DR! maybe it is a blessing in disguise :) haa haa

will take this rest period to smell flower and enjoy non-running life...

 
At 2/07/2007 8:54 PM, Blogger kops21 said...

is it impt to run like previous? I dont know abt u, but to me, the ability to run is a blessing. It could be much worst.

Take it as part and parcel of life. Go shopping, manicure and enjoy the festive seasons!

 
At 2/08/2007 12:17 AM, Blogger Sotong said...

No run... can still makan!!! no?
hee hee... have a speedy recovery!!!

Take care!!!

 
At 2/09/2007 12:29 AM, Blogger Ronnie said...

so sad to hear that, really hope that you can recovered in time for your Marathon. Meanwhile, just pursue interest. Life is more important than running.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home