Saturday, November 25, 2006

ECP Run on 25 Nov`06 (Sat)

DR organised a Pre-SCSM International Friendship Run for SgRunners residing overseas -- OP in Germany & shortlegs in Australia. The plan was to run 10-20km, followed by brunch @ Marina Square and SCSM race pack collection @ Suntec. Abt 20+ SgRunners gathered @ F2 carpark on a sunny Saturday morning -- thanks to Kayano who gave shutehelup, fennel, George & me a lift from Kovan MRT station to the start point.

After a quick intro and group photo, we started the run @ 7.40am. Hmm, everyone was in a relax mood and chatting along the way. I pulled infront and settled in my cruising pace. George overtook me @ PA adventure centre -- checked that he knew the route to NSRCC. The last time we did the Demoralising Run, I access ECP from Changi Coast Rd via ECP Service Rd -- quite dangerous with the big trucks on the single lane. From NSC, we ran on a nice shady tarmac rd all the way to NSRCC and made a U-turn @ the gate. Renoh was right behind me and I could hear his breathing and foot steps. Soon he overtook me and I kept a distance from him. Near F2 carpark, BR & Sotong was taking pics of us running past. Time check @ F2 carpark was 39min for 7.2km -- nice 5:25min/km pace. Was feeling good and up the pace -- overtook Renoh, he looked tired! First time running without my camelbak for heat run, I could feel my lips drying up and was contemplating whether to take water break. Hmm, knew there is a water cooler @ B1 toilet near Fort Rd -- well, I should persist till I reach there. The heat was building up by then (ard 8.30am). Guess the thought of water cooler spurred me on -- was glad to gulp down mouthful of water! As it was another 6km to finish, I decided to skip re-fuel with Gu Gel. Time check @ end of Fort Rd was 1h 15min for 14.1km - avg pace of 5:19min/km (from F2 - Fort Rd was 5:13min/km pace). George seemed to slow down as I caught up and maintained a short distance away from him. Waved & smiled @ fellow runners and encouraged them with a thumb up :) OP came along and asked how far to U-turn -- the heat must be unbearable to him, coming from a cold to hot climate! DR, who was shuttling between the front and back pack, encouraged me with "keep up the good pace". As George was running on the cycling path, it was quite hazardous -- so I switched to the jogging path. He came up shortly behind me and commented on the hot weather & sipped on his energy drink -- aiyah, he didn't offer me a sip(my lips was dried and covered with salt)! He went on ahead as I melt under the sun. After the lagoon, I welcomed the shade with open arms! With less than 1km to F2 carpark and a long straight path, I opened up my stride, overtook George and dashed all the way to the finish -- BR was waiting there to take pic. Oh, we were supposed to practise our pose when we crossed the finishing line @ SCSM. Mine was raised up my hand with a Victory sign :) Time check was 1h 55min for 21km -- nice avg pace of 5:29min/km (from Fort Rd to F2 was slower 5:39min/km pace). Thanks to Superboy82 who passed me a cup of Gatorade -- was dying of thirst! Went to the toilet and gulped down more tap water.

While waiting for the rest to come back, had a nice chat with OP & George. Sotong was going round taking pics -- my red nike top seemed to attract his attention, along with my red pack n water bottle :) Brought isotonic jello to share -- Pocari Sweat with konnyuku and apple, water chestnut and orange bits. Nice of DO to bring the tub of jello to all the runners! While the rest went to take shower before brunch @ Marina Square, I head off for a swim @ my friend's place at The Makena (close to Fort Rd). Thought it would be a quick cool-down walk from F2 to Fort Rd -- it took me close to 1 hr (including a stop to get ice cold drink @ the Lagoon FC) for that 6km stretch! Nevertheless, it was a refreshing swim at the 40m pool -- did 10 laps. Indeed, a swim after a long run aids recovery -- loosen up the tight muscles.

P.S. Very happy with this final heat run -- was able to maintain a good pace under the hot sun. Hopefully I will be able to keep to this pace on D-day! Felt good & relax during and after the run -- hope to have the same feeling on D-day, too! George n fennel looked good to finish well in their maiden marathon! Many thanks to DR for organising this run and BR & Sotong , who did not run, but spent the whole morning taking pics for us! Yipee, next week will be short runs and carbo-loading time!

Route : Start @ F2 carpark -> NSRCC -> F2 carpark -> U-turn @ Fort Rd -> End @ F2 carpark

Distance : 21km
Time : 1h55min
Avg pace : 5:29min/km

3 Comments:

At 11/26/2006 9:04 AM, Blogger The DreamRunner said...

u had a good run, and really looked strong. You should be all set for a good race. I hope to be able to spot you on race day, and follow your 5:20 pace at least for the initial half :) All the best!

 
At 11/26/2006 12:04 PM, Blogger doraemon_red said...

DR, thanks! Let's hope for good body condition n weather on D-day! C ya @ start & finish line -- maybe along the route, too :)

 
At 12/01/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Renohtaram said...

yeah, i was quite tired :p hopefully not so during race day =D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home