Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Lunch Date with Osteopath on 4 Oct `06 (Wed)

During last sat Animiles Run, I mis-stepped into a pot hole and nearly sprained my ankle -- rebounced quick enough and felt no pain. Thought I was lucky and continue running. Started to feel pain on the outside of my ankle on Sunday and got worse on Monday. Tried icing and deep heat rub(thanks to tktan's advice) -- the pain eased slightly. At the same time, both my knees felt stiff (usually only my left knee has problem, but this time, BOTH knees!!). Well, guess I better consult my osteopath, Paul Bell @ Osteopathy-podiatry.com, before more damage is done. My previous sprained left ankle was left untreated which resulted in inflammation at my left knee and triggered off pain in my right hip! When I first saw Paul in Jan`06, I was advised to stop running completely till the knee condition improved :( Have this fear that he would asked me to stop running again...

Usually Paul's appointments are fully booked, lucky star shining on me -- managed to get a 30min slot during lunch today -- took time off from work for an extended lunch till 2pm. Last saw him in Jun`06 for hip pain -- this time, more pain areas - ankle, knee and hip :( He started by checking my hip -- oh oh, my hip was mis-aligned (pelvis rotated) again. He was concerned abt the recurrance of my hip pain -- maybe due to my running style(usually both hips will feel pain, but mine juz right side) or I need orthodics for my shoes. KIV for the time being till the next visit. Then he moved on to check my knees -- OUCH when he exerted pressure below my right knee cap. Mild case of patella -- gotta do lots of stretching. Next, he massaged my right ankle to ease the ligament strain -- 5k pain. Next was the right thigh to hip -- from 21k pain(using finger) to 42k PAIN(using elbow) ! All this while, we were chatting abt past & upcoming races and training -- to distract me from the pain (he is a tri-athlete and actively taking part in local and overseas biathlons, triathlons, marathons etc.). He had to remind me to BREATHE numerous time -- coz I tend to hold my breath while in pain! Boy, I was elated when the PAIN therapy was over! Felt great though -- no more ankle and hip pain :) And good news was he didn't ask me to stop running!! We wish each other good luck for upcoming races -- he is doing a Himalaya marathon @ high altitude!!

FYI, below are some links on ankle and knee injuries :-
Anklesprain
Patella
More on Patella

Particularly, I find these exercises very effective -- do give it a try!
Knee_Pain_Exercises


On my way back to office, I stopped by Mandarin Gallery to get the dumbbell waterbottles from Xercise -- bought 2 (with the 2nd one @ 50% discount) for S$17.85 (each abt S$9). Will try it out on my next long run...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home